"It is one of the finest examples of the Greek Revival architecture in the Middle West."
--Ralph E. Phelps
Toledo Blade, 1 August 1956
PLEASE NOTE: On December 3, 2007, the Glendower mansion and property, as well as all administrative responsibilities, were transferred to the Warren County Historical Society. For more information about the Warren County Historical Society, please visit: http://www.wchsmuseum.org. (External web resource will load in a new browser window)
Glendower is a restored Greek Revival mansion, one of the five built during the 19th century, on a hill south of the center of Lebanon. John Milton Williams, a framer of the state's constitution, employed Amos Bennett to build the rectangular central unit in the 1840's. Flanking wings were added prior to the Civil War.
The mansion's distinctiveness is partly due to its classic cornices and porticoes, its fluted Ionic and unfluted Doric columns, and a low, hipped roof capped by a captain's walk. The 13 rooms include a formal drawing room with two fireplaces. All rooms, furnished with Empire and early Victorian style pieces, reflect the skilled local craftsmen and gracious living of the residents. General Durbin Ward, a brigadier general in the Civil War, lived in the house following the war.
View Larger Map
Glendower is located at 105 Cincinnati Avenue (U.S. Route 42), is two blocks south of the Golden Lamb Inn at Broadway (Rt. 48) and Main Street (Rt. 63/Rt. 123) in Lebanon, Warren County.
Warren County Historical Society
105 S. Broadway
Lebanon, OH 45036
1-800-283-8927 (toll free)
Ohio Historical Society strives to meet ADA requirements. However, historic structures and outdoor areas provide challenges that make it difficult to provide complete access to all visitors. Please call the site with specific questions and concerns.