Leo Petroglyph is an outstanding example of prehistoric Indian inscriptions.
On the edge of a beautiful ravine, the sandstone petroglyph contains 37 incised drawings of humans, animals, and human and animal footprints. It is now protected by a roof and viewing platform. The carvings, whose meaning is unknown, are attributed to Fort Ancient Indians who occupied this area between AD 1000 and 1650.
A trail leads through the gorge and along the unglaciated Mississippian sandstone cliffs that are 20 to 65 feet high. Wildflowers and birds are abundant during the warmer months.
Open All Year
View Larger Map
Leo Petroglyph is near the village of Leo, five miles northwest of Jackson, in Jackson County. Turn off of U.S. Route 35 on County Road 28, then left in Leo on Township Road 224.
c/o Friends of Buckeye Furnace
P.O. Box 475
Jackson, OH 45640