Link to Online Collection Catalog
Link to OHS HOME page
Link to CONTACT OHS page
Link to OHIO HISTORY STORE website
Link to OHS CALENDAR page
Link to OHS PLACES page
Link to OHS RESOURCES page
Link to the ABOUT OHS page
Link to SEARCH OHS page
Return to OHS Home Lockington Locks title banner
OHS Places icon links to OHS Places page
OHS Places
Hours
Admission
Location
General
Information
Related Links Visitors Guide Icon Links to Visitors Guide page
Get A Free OHS
Visitors Guide


Discover Ohio website (will load in a new browser window)

Ohio Tourism Icon Links to Ohio Tourism page
Ohio Tourism (will load in a new browser window)

Cedar Bog in the summer "The Miami and Erie Canal locks at Lockington are the most extensive and spectacular series of structures which existed on the canal.

The lock walls remain today almost in their original condition, changed only by the elements. Therefore, they are worthy and adequate memorials to the once important transportation system and the men who built it-- of the colorful period when the canals flourished in Ohio."


-- Anthony Wayne Parkway Board,
The Miami and Erie Canal Locks, Lockington, Ohio



Grounds at Lockington Locks These stairstep locks, among the best preserved in Ohio, were part of the Miami and Erie Canal System, which opened for navigation in 1845 and connected Cincinnati and the Ohio River to Toledo and Lake Erie. For several decades the canal provided Ohio with valuable transportation and waterpower. Railroads gradually rendered the canals obsolete.

The lockmaster's house, now a private residence, and a dry-dock basin for boat repair are still visible. Five locks step down to Loramie Creek where the abutments for the aqueduct remain.


Hours:

Open All Year Daylight Hours


Go To The Top Of This Page

Admission

FREE


Go To The Top Of This Page

Location


View Larger Map
Lockington Locks are in the village of Lockington, about 5 miles north of Piqua between I-75 and State Route 66, off of Hardin Road.


Go To The Top Of This Page

General Information

Lockington Locks
c/o Site Operations Department
The Ohio Historical Society
800 E. 17th Avenue
Columbus, OH 43211

Phone:
1-800-686-1535 (toll free)

FAX:
614-297-2233


Thank you for your interest in the Ohio Historical Society!

Back to Top


HOME || CONTACT

OHIO HISTORY STORE || CALENDAR || PLACES || RESOURCES || ABOUT || SEARCH || PRIVACY POLICY
Ohio History Center 800 E. 17th Ave. Columbus, OH 43211 © 1996-2012 All Rights Reserved.