Inscription Rock, on the south shore of Kelleys Island, is marked with prehistoric Indian pictographs.
The flat-topped limestone slab displays carvings of animals and human figures. Discovered partly buried in the shoreline in 1833, the 32 feet by 21 feet rock is now entirely exposed. Much eroded by the elements, it is now protected by a roof and viewing platform. Archaeologists believe the inscriptions date from sometime between AD 1200 and 1600.
Open All Year
Note: The island is accessible by ferry from Marblehead daily from the first Saturday in April until the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Call the Neuman Boat Line at 419-626-5557 for ferry schedules.
View Larger Map
Inscription Rock is located on Kelleys Island, in Erie County, in Lake Erie, eight miles north of Sandusky. Ferries depart from Marblehead.
Ohio Department of Natural Resources Lake Erie Islands State Park
4049 East Moores Dock Road
Port Clinton, OH 43452